Bedford Township's Building Department
Mission Statement: The Bedford Township Building Department works in concert with other internal township departments such as planning and zoning. We strive to ensure an even and consistent application of the Township ordinance and that all newly constructed structures in Bedford conform to State building codes. Our mission is to promote excellence in building practices among contractors as well as preserve the quality and lasting endurance homeowners deserve.
We achieve this by a simple process including:
1. Residents make application for a building permit. Site plans and drawings are required at the time of application which gives the Building Official an opportunity to review the proposed project, checking property setbacks, construction integrity and compliance with code.
2. The plan review is completed and returned to the applicant with any necessary changes indicated on the plans and drawings. Permit fees are collected at this stage.
3. Inspections are completed as required including footings, foundations, rough and final inspections of all building projects.
4. Inspections are also required for all plumbing, mechanical, and electrical permits.
5. A certificate of occupancy or compliance is issued when all inspections for the building permit are satisfied.
In addition to the day to day responsibilities our operations require, we also host seminars from time to time in which we invite contractors and builders to join us to hear from experts who regulate, update and interpret code. These are excellent opportunities for people to receive updated information first hand and to connect with others who share an interest in their field.
Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 - 5.
Call on us. We are here to assist you!