Bedford Township's Finance Department
Mission Statement: The mission of the Bedford Township Finance Department is to coordinate the accounting functions of the Township. Under the direction of the Township Clerk, the Finance Director also performs a variety of financially related tasks that enables the Township to run smoothly. Also, the Finance Director provides data to the Township Board concerning fiscal operations of the Township.
1. Record and classify accounting transactions in detail according to the Michigan Uniform Accounting System for all township funds using the modified accrual method in accordance with and as modified by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
2. Assist Treasurer in reconciling monthly bank statements for all Township checking and savings accounts.
3. Assist the Clerk in receiving invoices, preparing them for payment and maintaining paid invoices file.
4. Maintain financial records for all general, special revenue, debt retirement, capital improvement, enterprise and trust funds and prepare reports as requested.
5. Audit quarterly sewer use billings and reconcile utility information with the utility department.
6. Assist the Township Supervisor in budget preparation and attend budget preparation sessions and other pertinent meetings.
7. Assist the Township Clerk in preparation of budget resolutions and amendments.
8. Maintain files and financial documentation for Federal and State grants.
9. Assist the Clerk and Treasurer in preparing payroll, processing payments for all employee deductions and maintaining payroll and personnel files.
10. Assist the Clerk in maintaining employee insurance files and processing enrollments and terminations.
11. Perform any other related duties as assigned.
We are pleased to notify Bedford residents that the Township's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), has qualified the last thirteen consecutive years for a certificate of achievement for excellence in financial reporting! The Certificate of Achievement is the highest form of recognition in governmental accounting and financial reporting, and it's attainment represents a significant accomplishment by a government and its management.