On May 4, 1818, a Proclamation by Lewis Cass, Governor of the Territory of Michigan, formed the Township of Erie. At that time Erie Township included all of the present township of Bedford, Erie, LaSalle, and Whiteford. What is now Bedford Township was identified as West Erie. Bedford Township was split off from Erie Township and was organized on March 23, 1836. The first election was held on May 2, 1836, at the home ofLevi Lewis, 166 Samaria Road. William Dunbar was elected Supervisor andTheophilus Osgood, Clerk..
The first post office in Bedford Township was established on June 13, 1834, and was named West Erie Post Office.William Dunbar was Postmaster from 1834 to 1855. On January 15, 1836, West Erie Post Office was renamed Lambertville Post Office. Lambertville was named for John Lambert.
Samaria village was formerly known as Weeksville. In May, 1878, a rail line was completed through this village and on January 17, 1879 the Samaria Post Office was established with Samuel Weeks as the first Postmaster. Samaria was named for Samuel and Mary (Mason) Weeks.
Bedford Center was established in 1859. On December 8, 1884 a post office was established at Bedford Center and was named Temperance with Lewis Ansted as the first Postmaster. A petition was circulated and the name Bedford Center was changed to Temperance.
The 1840 Federal Census for Bedford Township listed 79 people as head of household with a population of 500 and the 2000 Census with 10,659 dwellings and a population of 28,606.
In the early years there were ten separate school districts in Bedford Township with each having their own school directors. In the early 1940’s there was an effort to reorganize the schools to utilize more fully already available facilities and to provide a higher educational standard for school children. On February 4, 1946, the Temperance School District Number 2 was destroyed by fire and this prompted immediate action to reorganize. On June 1, 1946 the Bedford Township voters approved the consolidation and on June 15, 1946 the School Board organized the new consolidated school system to be named Bedford Rural Agricultural Schools. On December 1, 1955 the name was changed to Bedford Public Schools.
Information and Photographs Courtesy of Don Adams